Monday, March 29, 2010
Microsoft Security Assessment Tool (MSAT) is a free tool designed to help organizations like yours assess weaknesses in your current IT security environment, reveal a prioritized list of issues, and help provide specific guidance to minimize those risks. MSAT is an easy, cost-effective way to begin strengthening the security of your computing environment and your business. Begin the process by taking a snapshot of your current security state, and then use MSAT to continuously monitor your infrastructure’s ability to respond to security threats.
MSAT provides some good features like:
- Easy to use, comprehensive, and continuous security awareness
- A defense-in-depth framework with industry comparative analysis
- Detailed, ongoing reporting comparing your baseline to your progress
- Proven recommendations and prioritized activities to improve security
- Structured Microsoft and industry guidance
MSAT consists of over 200 questions covering infrastructure, applications, operations, and people. The questions, associated answers, and recommendations are derived from commonly accepted best practices, standards such as ISO 17799 and NIST-800.x.
The assessment is made up of over 200 questions, broken down into four categories: